So now that you know what amaranth is, why should you care…what is the nutritional benefit…why should you add amaranth to your diet…why is amaranth considered a superfood?
Amaranth is a “relative” of other extremely healthy foods that you probbly already have added to your diet, possibly from birth—such as beets, spinach, and quinoa,
Amaranth is a great source of protein, fiber, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and iron.
Let’s look at the nutrients that amaranth provides…
The Numbers—Key Nutrients
Based on one cup serving of amaranth, here are some important uumbers…
Calcium...112% DV…116 mg…The calcium that can be found in amaranth is important for bone repair and strength. Not getting enough calcium in your diet causes your bones to become weak and pliable….increasing your risk of breaking a bone and developing osteoporosis.
Fiber…20% DV…Amaranth contains more fiber than any other gluten-free grain, even more than superfoods such as quinoa. The fiber in amaranth is good for your digestive system….(need I elaborate…fill in the blanks yourself)…
Folate…14%DV…54.1 mg…The folate in amaranth helps the body copy and synthesize DNA, which is especially important for pregnant women, because a folate deficiency can keep the growing baby’s cell from growing properly…possibly resulting in birth defects as spina bifida or causing heart and limb malformations.
Manganese …105$ DV….This is over 100$ DV of manganese,…Maganese is especially important for diabetics because it helps reduce high blood sugar levels by helping your body converrt amino acids into sugar and maintain the balance of sugar within the bloodstream.
Protein…The protein found in amaranth is important for…
- aiding in digestion
- building muscle mass
- controlling mood swings
- decreasing exercise-induced muscle damage
- helping to naturally balance hormones
- making you feel full quicker and requiring more work for the body to digest than fast-acting refined carbs
- preventing weight gain by
- supporting neurological function
- Caroohydrates….48 grams
- Copper…18%DV…0.4 mg
- Far… 3.9 grams
- Iron…25%DV …5.2mg
- Magnesium…40% DV…160mg
- Potassium…9% DV…352 Mg
- Selemium…19% DV…13.5mg
- Vitamin B6…14% DV…0.3mg
- Zinc…14%…2.1 mg
Other Health-Related Issues
In addition to all of these nutrients, amaranth also provides each of the he nine essential amino acids and aantioxidants.
Now let’s look at what all of these nutrients mean as far as your health…your muscles, bone, and skin…your cardiovascular health…your mmune system.
1. Controlling Cholesterol Levels…Amaranth is a considered a cholesterol-lowering food…having been shown to decrease LDL cholesterol, the “bad” cholesterol…even by up to 50%.
2. Controlling :Your Weight…Amaranth can help you maintain your goal weight for many reasons, including…
- amaranth strengthens your bones, which means that you can exercise without having to worry so much about breaking a bone
- fiber found in amarant keeps your digestive system regulated and reduces inflammation
- high levels of lysine, an amino acid, helps your body produce carnitine, a nutrient that is important for converting fatty acids into energy and helping lower cholesterol
- protein keeps you full longer and increases endurance levels
3. Dealing with Gluten Sensitivity…Many people are either allergic or sensitive to gluten, the protein found in wheat…but amaranth is gluten-free. Problems associated with gluten could include…
- bone and joint pain
- celiac’s disease
- poor memory.
- skin rashes
4. Keeping Your Bones Healthy…The calcium that can be found in amaranth is important for bone repair and strength. Not getting enough calcium in your diet causes your bones to become weak and pliable….increasing your risk of breaking a bone and developing osteoporosis.
5. Reducing Inflammation…Inflammation is caused by the accumulation of dietary and environmental toxins in the body…making your immune system so overworked and weak that it can no longer defend body tissues against damaging defense cells and hormones.
Inflammation is associated with just about every health condition, including…
- leaky gut syndrome
- irritable bowel disease
Amaranth helps reduce this inflammation.