This month is No-Shave November…
But being the wife of a Marine and having been on public transportation or in other tight spaces in too many foreign countries with armpit hair hanging to their waists if not even longer.
I say the more hair you can shave, the better off you are…
Wouldn’t everyone—male or female—feel so much better if they had well-shaven, silky-smooth skin on their legs, armpits, bikini area…
The first step in getting a perfect shave is tol find the perfect razor…
But to get the best results, you first need a quality razor….Benefits of using a quality razor, as opposed to a cheaper razor, include…
- saving you money in the long run
- reducing the risk of skin irritation and razor burn
- giving you better results for your efforts
- Factors to consider when choosing the “perfect” razor include…
- whether or not the razor comes into contact with your skin too much,
- if the razor creates a close enough shave
- how much control you have over the razor so that you can avoid accidentally cutting yourself
- if there are conditioning and smoothing strips that will moisten the area before the actual razor blades pass over the skin and help avoid any skin irritation that might result from shaving
There is much debate as to whether disposable or refillable razors are best.
- Disposable razors…Disposable razors are a lot cheaper, but they aren’t always a good value over refillable versions.
- Refillable razors…Even though refillable razors are typically going to be more expensive than disposable ones, they have a longer useful lifespan than disposable ones and cost less to replace. Refillable razors are also typically made with higher quality blades and handles.
Personally I have found the best razors to buy are the Gillette Swirl HydroSilk, Gillette Venus Embrace, Schick Hydro Silk Trim Style Moisturizing Razor, and Gillette Fusion ProGlide.
Electric razors, such as this Panasonic ES2207P Ladies Electric Shaver, are another option for shaving. These razors reduce the risk of getting cuts, burns, and nicks. They are especially great for women with sensitive skin.
Vegan Shaving Creams
Our goal now is to make or purchase a fragrance-free, relatively inexpensive shaving cream that goes on smooth, leaves your legs moisturized without clogging up your razor, and nourishes and prote
Most of the typical commercial brands of shaving cream almost al; contain many animal byproducts.
Fortunately there are a number of excellent shaving creams that actually do meet the needs of even the choosiest vegan.
When shopping for a vegan shaving cream, there are four key factors to consider…
1. Ingredients…Choosing natural and organic ingredients is always a good idea because these products have no harsh chemicals, pesticides, or synthetic ingredients that might be absorbed into your skin.
2. Scent...The scent that you choose is simply a matter of personal preference, but if you are going to use a scented shaving cream, you’re typically better off choosing a lighter, less noticeable fragrance…a shaving cream that contains essential oils, not whatever the heck the word “fragrance” might mean on the package.
3. Texture...If you are truly committed to doing your part to create and maintain a safer, cleaner planet, you will want to avoid typical foamy shaving creams. The chemicals, hydrocarbons, and compressed gases that are released when creating that foam have been shown to be unhealthy for our environment.
4. Volume...The amount of shaving cream that you want to purchase at one time and the size of the shaving cream containers depends on many factors—travel regulations, desire to sample a new product without having to buy a large container you are never going to use, how often you take showers and shave, how many people will be using the product, and any savings that can be enjoyed by purchasing in bulk.
A few of the vegan shaving creams available are…
- 100% Pure Seaweed Vegan Shaving Cream
Avalon Organics Cream Shave
Dr. Bronner’s Organic Shaving Soap
Kiss My Face Moisture Shave
The following recipe for homemade shaving cream would be another great option because of the health benefits of its ingredients. Ingredients such as…
Coconut Oil...Coconut oil is a great moisturizer that contains lots of anti-aging benefits and protects the skin from free radicals.
Raw Shea Butter...Raw shea butter is extremely moisturizing and provides immediate softness and smoothness. It is also a significant source of anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor promoting compounds.
Carrier Oil…There are several options available as far as the oil to use when making your shaving cream. These include…
- Grapeseed oil is a great source of vitamin E and moisturizing fatty acids.
- Jojoba oil is great for combatting skin scarring, fatty tissues, and facial lines.
- Olive oil is great at preventing dry skin and contains moisturizing vitamin E.
- Sweet almond oil is great for dark circles.
Liquid Castile Soap...Liquid castile soap is an all-natural chemical-free soap, and adding it to your shaving cream provides a bit of texture so that the shaving cream is more effective..
Essential Oils...There are also several options as to essential oils to add to your shaving cream. Popular essential oils to use include…
- Frankincense helps improve circulation, lowers symptoms of arthritis, and helps decrease muscle aches.
- Lavender oil is a soothing oil that restores skin complexion, slows aging with its powerful antioxidants, and improves eczema and psoriasis.
- Peppermint oil gives a cooling sensation.
- Tea tree oil is a good antiseptic if you should cut yourself.
Homemade Shaving Cream…makes about two cups
- 1C coconut oil
- 1C shea butter
- 6Tbsp oil—olive, jojoba, sweet almond, or grapeseed
- 6Tbsp liquid castile soap
Melt shea butter and coconut oil over the lowest heat setting on the stove. Stir occasionally until fully melted. Add oil. Stir until fully blended. Remove from heat. Transfer mixture to a medium-sized jar. Refrigerate overnight or until solid. Remove from fridge into mixing bowl. Whip using a hand mixer or stand mixer for about four minutes. Add castile soap. Whip until fully combined. Spoon shaving cream into a glass jar with a lid. Store in a cool, dry place.
Now let’s take a look at shaving subscription clubs…
Shaving subscription clubs can help you save money, save time, and get the highest quality shaving and beard grooming products on the market for one low price, delivered straight to your door every month.
These shaving subscription boxes will make you love shaving every morning, more and more every month.
From high quality shaving creams and moisturizers, to balms and skin soothers, these shaving clubs have it all.Below, you’ll discover some of the best monthly shaving boxes available…
1.Bevel Shave System
- Cost: $29.95 a month
- What you get: Bevel is unique in the fact that it helps people of color shave without having to worry about razor bumps and irritation. Every 3 months you’ll receive the complete Bevel Shave System delivered to your door.
2. Birchbox Men
- Cost: $10 a month
- What you get: With Birchbox Man, you’ll receive awesome, high-quality shaving and grooming products delivered to your door every month. Inside every Birchbox Man box, you’ll get 5 grooming product samples such as shampoo, beard oils, moisturizers, body wash, hair gel, and so much more
3. Dollar Beard Club
- Cost: $1 plus shipping.
- What you get: With the Dollar Beard Club, you’ll get all natural products such as oils, balm, wax, growth accelerators, and more. The way it works is that you build a kit which includes choosing an oil, an essential, a shower item, an accelerator, and a accessory. However, you can always just pick a single product and only have that in your kit. Then you’ll be sent those products every month until you cancel! This is a cool box to give as a gift.
4. Dollar Shave Club
- Cost: $1-$9 a month
- What you get: Probably the most popular shave club out there, Dollar Shave Club offers 3 different razors to choose from (the humble twin, the x which can also be used for women, and the executive). Then from there you can choose how often you’ll like blades to be delivered to your home
5. Gillette Shave Club
- Cost: $16.99 – $22.45 a month
- What you get: With the Gillette Shave Club, you’ll get your choice of razor, 4 blades, and shaving cream delivered as often as you’d like.
6. Harry’s Shave Club
- Cost: $8 – $24 a month depending on your plan
- What you get: Harry’s is by far the best shave club out there when in comes to quality and affordability. With Harry’s, you’ll get quality blades for half the price delivered how often you’d like. Once you finish your free trial, you have the option to get blades or blades and gels delivered based on your shaving frequency
- Cost: $8-$80 a month depending on what products you want included in your box.
- What you get: When you join Morgans, you’ll get premium bathroom basics without the outrageous prices. All you have to do is choose what you’d like and they’d be delivered straight to your door monthly. Products include shampoo, conditioner, hand and body wash, moisturizer, deodorant, bar soap, shaving handle and blades, shaving cream, toothbrushes, and toothpaste. Plus all their products are vegan!
8. Wet Shave Club
- Costs: $29.99 a month
- What you get: Each month you’ll receive a box of awesome shaving items that will help you have the best shave possible. Plus in your first box, you’l get a free razor and shave brush!