There are several ways that beet greens can be prepared, but right now let’s take a look at the following four…
- Soups and Stews
- Lasagna and Pasta Dishes
Salad…Enjoy beet greens by themselves as a salad or with other leafy vegetables.
Beet Green, Almond, and Cranberry Salad
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
1 pound spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons minced onion
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup dried cranberries
- Toast the almonds…Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Toast almonds lightly in butter,
- Make the dressing…Whisk together all remaining ingredients.
- Assemble the salad…Combine the toasted almonds, salad dressing, and beet greens, and cranberries just before serving.
Saute…Another option would be to sauté the beet greens with onions—and assuming that you are not from the Deep South and absolutely refuse to give up the almighty bacon—bacon…
Beet Green, Onion, and Bacon Saute
- 1 pound beet greens
- 1 strip of thick cut bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 large minced garlic clove
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- .3 Tbsp of cider vinegar
1.Prepare the beet greens…Rinse the leaves under cold running water. Do not soak the leaves in the water as water-soluble nutrients will leach into the water. Cutt leaves off at the stem where the leafy portion end. Cut into ½” slices. Set aside.
2. Cook the “other stuff”…Sauté the bacon, onions, and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water to the hot pan, stirring to loosen any particles from bottom of pan. Stir in sugar, vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a boil.
3. Add the beet greens…Add the beet greens gently into the onion mixture. Cover. Simmer ten minutes, or until the greens are tender.
A third option in using your beet greens is to make a soup or stew such as this one…
Beet Green and Vegetable Soup
- 2Tbsp butter
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 leek, sliced
2 small sticks celery, sliced
1 small potato, peeled and diced
½ tsp pepper
- 1lC chicken or vegetable stock
- 1-1/2C beet greens
- 1-1/4C sour cream
1.Cook the vegetables…Cook the spring onions, leek, celery and potato in butter. Cover with lid, Wait ten minutes, stirring a couple of times.
2, Add the stock…Pour in the stock. Cook 15 minutes.
3, Add the spinach…Add the spinach. Cook for a couple of minutes until wilted.
4, Blend together…Use a hand blender to make a smooth soup. Stir in the sour cream. Reheat. Serve.