- Watermelons…those melons with a mid- to dark green rind that is usually mottled or striped…sweet, juicy flesh that is usually deep red to pink…and many black seed…(unless you’re smart enough to be one of the 85% of us who bypass the seeds altogether by buying seedless watermelons)…have been the delight of many happy people for over four thousand years.
- There is evidence to show that watermelons were cultivated in the Nile Valley as early as 2000BC.
- Watermelon seeds have been found in the tombs of ancient Egyptian Pharaoahs who would place watermelons in the burial tombs of their kings to nourish them in the afterlife.
- Thank God for the Japanese scientists that initially developed seedless watermelons…guess they got tired of having their kids spit watermelon seeds at them also.
- Watermelons vary in size from six pounds to fifty pounds. According to Guinness World Records the world’s heaviest watermelon was grown by Lloyd Bright of Arkadelphia, Arkansas, in 2005…weighing in at a whopping 268.8 lbs.
- Surprisingly the Deep South does not lay claim as to being the top producing area of water…surprisingly, it’s China…followed then by Brazil, Turkey, and Iran.
- The United States ranks fifth in the worldwide production of watermelons….where watermelons are grown in forty-four states…Florida, Texas, California, Georgia and Arizona being leaders of the pack.
Although watermelons are 92% water…hence the name, go figure…it still is stocked nutrients such as…
- Amino acids…these are the basic building block for protein, which is used in virtually every vital function in the body
- Antioxidants…watermelon is high in antioxidants and amino acids which are important for help to prevent various diseases, including cancer
- Beta-carotene…an antioxidant found in red-orange fruits and vegetables that helps with immunity, skin, eye and the prevention of cancer
- Lycopene…the red pigment that gives such fruits as watermelons, grapefruits and guavas their color….and has been linked with heart health, bone health, cancer prevention
- Vitamin C…21%RDI…important for your immune system and skin