- We all know what a honeydew is…that green thing over by the cantaloupe…but do you know what nutritional benefits it offers and what health benefits arrive from eating it?
- Let’s take a look…
Even though a honeydew is 90% water, the melon still packs a great punch…
- Calories…64 calories per cup
- Carbohydrates…16 grams
- Fiber…1.4 grams
- Fat…0 grams
- Protein….1 gram
- Vitamin C…excellent source…one cup offers 56%RDV.
- Blood Pressure…Eating honeydew can help reduce your risk of high blood pressure and heart disease. The fact that honeydew is a low-sodium and potassium-rich fruit…one cup providing 12%RDI…makes it well worth grabbing while you are in the produce section.
- Bone Health…Eating honeydew can help repair and maintain strong bones because it contains several nutrients—including folate, vitamin K and magnesium—that are vital for keeping the cells that are responsible for building and breaking down bone tissue functioning properly.
- Diabetes…Eating honeydew promotes healthy blood sugar levels. Adding fresh fruit to your daily diet can reduce your chances of getting type 2 diabetes by about fifteen percent. Not only that, eating fruit at least three times per week can lower your risk of diabetes-related health complications if you already have diabetes. Even though honeydew contains carbs that can raise your blood sugar temporarily, the melons also provide fiber and other nutrients that help improve blood sugar control over time.
- Digestion…Eating honeydew helps support healthy digestion because the melon contains the fiber needed to slow blood sugar response, promote bowel regularity, and grow healthy gut bacteria.
- Hydration…Eating honeydew effectively and properly hydrates your body more effectively that water along because it also contains electrolyes and other nutrients—such as potassium, magnesium, sodium and calcium—that make eating honeydew great for keeping you hydrated.
- Immune System…Eating honeydew helps support your immune system because it is loaded with vitamin C. Eating as little as one cup of honeydew helps prevent and treat respiratory problems such as pneumonia and the common cold…(how about this stupid coronavirus thing?!)
- Skin…Eating honeydew helps keep your skin healthy because it contains a large amount of vitamin C content….an antioxidant that is important for producing the collagen needed to repair and maintain your skin tissue and for protecting your skin from sun damage. A single cup of honeydew contains 53%RDI vitamin C.
- Vision and Eye Health…Eating honeydew can help protect your vision and eye health because it contains two potent antioxidants—lutein and zeaxanthin…that are well known for supporting eye health and preventing the development of age-related vision loss.