Obvioiusly fruits are an important part of a healthy diet, but how many of us stumble into the fruit aisle only to look at the pretty colors and then walk away because it would be so much easier simply to grab yet another granola bar out of a box and call it a day.
But fruit is God’s candy…and far too many of us are missing out on one of His greatest gifts….not to mention foods that rank high in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber and other nutrients.
Botanically speaking, a fruit is classified as a drupe as long as that fruit has seeds. So surprisingly, that means that tomatoes, eggplants, peas, beans, and wheat grains are actually all fruits.
In the next few posts, we will be talking about the different classifications of fruit so that we can start hitting the fruit aisle with style.
Fruit is typically classified into five different categories…
1. Berries…We probably can all figure out which fruits are berries—those fruits that are small and juicy and do not have a stone or a pit. Typically when you think about berries, you think of…
2. Citrus…These are those fruits that have a thick tangy rind and sectioned pulp inside. Typically when you think about citrus, you think of…
3, Drupes…These are fleshy fruits that have a large seed. Typically when you think about drupes, you think of…
4. Pepo…These are those fruits that have multiple seeds throughout the flesh or grouped together in the center. Typically when you think of pepeo fruit, you think of melons.
5. Pomes…These are those fruits that have a fleshy area surrounding a core containing seeds. Typically when you think of pomes, you think of apples and pears.
6. Tropical fruits….Typically when you think of tropical fruits, you think of…
In the next few posts, we will keep exploring the grocery store with me…so let’s go shopping…shall we?!