So how do you know that will give you the most health benefits?
Here are a few things to look for…
Nowadays yogurt not only can be made with the typical cow’s milk, but can also be made from one of the following…
- almond milk
- coconut milk
- hemp milk
- oat milk
- rice milk
- soy milk
These yogurts are great for people who are either vegan or lactose-intolerant. For more about different types of milk, check my previous post Visions of Veganism—Milk.
Each type of yogurt will have its own texture and taste…so keep trying different options until you find the one type of yogurt that you love the most.
When choosing a yogurt, another choice that you must make is whether to buy the “light” kind of “the other stuff.”
While “the other stuff” typically contains sugar…the light kind contains the other “other stuff”—more specfically artificial sweeteners such as NutraSweet.
I personally can’t stand the aftertaste from these sweeteners, so I always buy the “other stuff” that doesn’t contain “the other stuff.”
Active Cultures and Probiotics
Choose a yogurt labelled that it contains active cultures. Also check the list of ingredients to see if any specific active cultures are listed.
One of the words closely associated these days with yogurt is jprobiotics.
But what exactly are probiotics?
And why should we give a flying flip if our yogurt contains probiotics or not?
Probiotics are “friendly bacteria” that are naturally present in the digestive system….but also can be found in yogurt because yogurt typically contains live cultures.
Probiotics supposedly can do great things like…
Here are a few examples of some lower fat choices:
- Activia…165 calories…3 grams fat…23% RDA calcium
- Activia Light…105 calories…0 grams fat…22.5% RDA calcium
- Creamy Fruit Blends…170 calories….1.5 grams fat…20% RDA calcium
- Light & Fit…75 calories…0 grams fat…15% RDA calcium…15% RDA vitamin D
- 130 calories…1.5 grams fat…25% RDA calcium
- 100 calories….5 grams fat…30% RDA calcium…30% RDA vitamin D
- Fiber One Non-Fat…120 calories…0 grams fat…15% RDA calcium…11.5% RDA vitamin D
- Yo Plus…165 calories…2.2 grams fat…23% RDA calcium…15% RDA vitamin D Light…100 calories…0 grams fat…20% RDA calcium…20% RDA vitamin D