Mention anything about possibly even thinking about adding more fruits and vegetables to your breakfast menu…and especially leafy greens, and you’ll especially in the mornings, and you immediately start thinking about smoohties…in particular…green smoothies.
Green smoothies—gee, that would be something that has a green color and a smooth texture…such as wasabi?…or guacamole?…or split pea soup?
The Perfect Green Smoothie
The perfect green smoothies is the perfect combination of your favorite leafy green vegetables—such as kale or spinach—with other nutrient-rich fruits and finished with a liquid base.
Green smoothies are an excellent breakfast because they are full of nutrients—such as antioxidants and vitamins…provide many different health benefits,.. and usually taste sweet and delicious.
And the fact that these nutrients have been broken down from their original state into a form that can be more readily digested…(such as celery “smooth” instead of a celery “stick”)….means that these nutrients can be absorbed into the body and used more efficiently.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits that green smoothie addicts have been enjoying for years…and then explore a few different fruit and vegetable combinations that .
1.Antioxidants…Green smoothies contain lots of antioxidants, the “stuff” that protects you from “free radicals”….such as the chlorophyll that most of us probably remember from high school science class, if not elementary school.
Chlorophyll and other antioxidants found in leafy greens are important for…
helping treat insomnia
hydrating your skin
improving the immune system
preventing dental problems
reducing symptoms of sinusitis
reducing the signs of aging
In other words, green smoothies help keep you healthy. by keeping you from getting sick…(gee, common sense since the words “healthy” an “sick” are opposites, right?!)…
2. Anti-Inflammatory...Green smoothies are great for people suffering from inflammatory conditions—such as arthritis and gout.
3. Bone Health...Green smoothies are a rich source of bone-building minerals—such as calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus…and many smoothie recipes contain more calcium than an actual glass of milk.
4. Chronic Diseases...Green smoothies and other fruits/vegetables lower your risk of chronic diseases—such as cancer, type 2 diabetesk, cardiovascular disease,
5. Colon Health…Green smoothies keep the good microbes in your digestive system healthy enough to fight off the bad microbes…meaning that they support optimum digestion and a strong immune system.
6. Depression…Green smoothies contain high concentrations of folic acid and folate…meaning that they keep you from having the folic acid deficiency that is commonly found in people suffering from depression.
7. Digestive System...Green smoothies help not only improve the actual digestion process, but also treat the symptoms of common digestive disorders because of the high fiber content of these leafy greens.
8. Energy Levels.…Green smoothies help you have more energy throughout the day. They give you a good chunk of the nutritional needs that you need each day—such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants—without having to eat so many more foods to get the same nutritional benefit….and also provide the B vitamins and magnesium needed for energy metabolism.
9. Heart…Green smoothies help lower blood pressure and significantly lower cholesterol…thereby decreasing your risk of cardiovascular disease—such as heart attack or stroke..
10. Heartburn or Acid Reflux…Green smoothies can help stop heartburn and acid reflux because they are naturally alkaline.
11. Immune System…Green smoothies can keep you from being sick all year long….especially green smoothies made with immune-boosting ingredients that are loaded with phytonutrients—such as citrus fruit, cranberries, and ginger.
12. Menopause...Green smoothies may also help women are going through menopause.
13. Mental Clarity and Focus…Green smoothies also give you more mental clarity and focus.
14. Physical Appearance...Green smoothies are high in vitamin E, vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants…all of which work together to keep your skin, hair, and nails all looking healthier and stronger.
15. PMS...Green smoothies may help women who suffer from PMS.
16. Pregnancy...Green smoothies can support a healthy pregnancy.
17. Seasonal Allergies…Green smoothies have been said to reduce the severity of seasonal allergies.
18. Weight Loss...Green smoothies can help you lose weight for many reaasons, such as…
helping you feel satisfied with smaller portions when eating meals, if you drink one right before your main meal of the day
increasing your daily fruit, vegetable, and fiber intake.
keeping you from feeling hungry all day because of their fiber content
lowering overall calorie intake
reducing your cravings for junk foods, unhealthy sweets, salt, and fats
teaching you to crave healthier foods such as fruits, vegetables, and greens