A second ingredient that I am learning to substitute now that we are trying to eat more “politically correct” is milk.
Typically it’s easy to replace the milk with another non-dairy milk at a one-for-one ratio….such as replacing 1 cup of dairy milk, with 1 cup of the fdollowing…
- almond milk
- coconut milk
- hemp milk
- oat milk
- rice milk
- soy milk
Most of these non-dairy milks also come in different flavors—such as plain, vanilla, and chocolate.
Three brands of non-dairy milk that are commonly availa ble are…
Finally, even though you can basically substitute the dairy milk asked for in a recipe with the same amount of almost any of these non-dairy milk, these are a few things to remember when choosing which non-dairy milk to use, tsuch as…
1.Choose the plain flavor for non-baking needs.
2. Choose the milk that you use in the recipe based on the recipe that you are making…(or whatever you already have on hand)…For example, if you are making a baked good that contains nuts, use almond milk…If you are making anything rropical, use coconut milk.
3. Coconut milk contains more fat than most other dairy-free milk and has a much richer taste, giving your recipes an actual coconut taste instead of being neutral….so only use coconut milk with foods that complement the coconut flavor …such as in a curry or some sort of tropical dessert.
4. If the recipe only calls for a very small amount of milk, you can you use water instead.
5. If you are using sweetened milk, you might need to use a little less sugar in the recipe.
6. Make sure the the milk that you buy does not contain sweeteners….you can do this by either check ing the list of ingredients or look for products that have been specifically labeled as unsweetened.
7. Soy milk and rice milk both have mild flavors that can be used with a variety of other ingredients….and is probably your best bet because it is so versatile.
8. Soy or almond milk, that is both unflavored and unsweetened, is the best choice for soups, stews and sauces,
9. Vanilla almond milk is great for most cupcake, cake, and cookie recipe.
Each of the different milk substitutes will have its own texture and taste…Keep trying different options until you find one that you love the most or the one that best suits your purpose.