What kind of potatoes should I use…and how many?
You will need about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds,…about six,,,Yukon gold potatoes…
Avoid using russet potatoes…they tend to fall apart.
Yukon Gold potatoes are the best potatoes for making potato salad for many reasons, such as the facts that they…
- are creamier
- are sweeter
- cook quickly
- have a thinner skin, which means that they are easier to peel
- hold their shape well after cooking
How do I cook the potatoes?
- Do not cut or peel the potatoes before cooking them…cook them whole. This will help them maintain more of their flavor and natural sweetness.
- Add the potatoes to cold water and then bring to a boil This will give you a better consistency than if you had added the potatoes to hot, boiling water.
- Add a tablespoon to the water. This will give the potatoes more flavor. Adding salt to the cooking water brings out the flavor of the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes for 10-15min or until you can easily pierce the potatoes with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Set them in a bowl of ice for a couple of minutes to keep them from cooking even more.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut into large diced pieces.
- Put the warm potatoes to a large bowl.
- Stir in a few hearty splashes of a vinegar-y liquid—such as white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, or dill pickle juice—the potatoes are still warm This will give your potato salad a subtle flavor punch
- Allow the potatoes to cool for at least 15min before adding your dressing.
Dressing,,,Mix the following together…
- 1-1/2C mayonnaise
- 1/4C yellow mustard
- 1 1/2tsp celery seed
- 2tsp sugar
- 1/2tsp onion powder
- 1/4C sweet pickle relish
- salt and pepper according to taste
Extra ingredients….Once you have your cooked and chopped potatoes coated with your dressing, it’s time to add anything else that you would like in your salad, such as…
- Boiled Eggs…5 eggs peeled…This will add texture and extra creaminess.
- Celery…2 large stalks, diced…Celery adds a nice crunch.
- Dill or Sweet Pickle
- Onion…6 diced green onions or half of a sweet onion…This will add sweetness and crunch …but make sure that the onion doesn’t overpower the the flavors of the rest of the salad ingredients. You can help take the raw edge off the onion by putting the chopped onion in cool water for about ten minutes.
Finally you might want to add fresh Herbs…Herbs most commonly used in potato salad include…
Finally after combining the potatoes, the dressing, and the “stuff”…sprinkle some paprika on top….just because that’s probably how your grandmother and mother would have done it…not sure it actually adds anything to the salad except for color, right?
Now cover your salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least four hours.
Your potato salad will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days…assuming it hasn’t been eaten by then, of course…