So if you’re going to start baking with applesauce more frequently, there is obviously one very important thing that you must keep on hand…
Obviously there are two options when it comes to keeping applesauce on hand—buy it from the grocery store ready-,made, or make it yourself..
Why even consider making your own applesauce when it’s so easy just to get cheap applesauce, even if you do have to squat in the Walmart aisle in order to get to the cheap stuff.
That’s probably the problem. When it comes to food products, there are certain items where cheap simply means cheap…cheap quality, cheap texture, cheap ingredients, cheap manufacturing methods.
The best applesauce—both as far as taste and nutrition—is homemade, unsweetened and made from unpeeled apples.
Plus this is coming upon the time of year when apples are relatively cheap and easily available…
If you’re buying two thousand apples already for the upcoming PTA Halloween carnival, why not also buy another thousand and see how much homemade applesauce you can make ahead of time and sell at the food booth also.
Finally, so why even bother with applesauce in the first place…check out these nutritional facts…
- Calories…A cup of unsweetened applesauce contains around 100 calories.
- Fat…Apples0auce contains no fat, assuming that your applesauce is unsweetened and does not contain high-fructose corn syrup or sucrose..
- Fiber…Applesauce is an especially good source of soluble fiber, the type that dissolves into a gel-like substance and helps maintain healthy blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Yet store-bought applesauce is typically made without the apple peel, which means that buying your applesauce instead of making it yourself does not take full advantage of the amount of fiber that those apples originally contained.
- Pectin…While we’re on the topic of fiber, applesauce also contains pectin, a special type of soluble fiber, a vital nutrient in helping to lower your cholesterol levels.
- Vitamin C…Applesauce can supply as much as 80% of your daily allowance of vitamin C.