Okay, so now we’ve established the fact that drinking water each day is important in maintaining our overall health and well-being. Water is required for all sorts of reasons—including flushing toxins and waste products from our bodies, helping with digestion, keeping us “regular,” preventing dehydration, helping with weight loss, hydrating the skin, reducing the signs of aging. treating fatigue, adding shine to dull hair, preventing chapped lips, maintaining a health immune system.
But drinking the suggested amount of water can often be a challenge.
I have been drinking two liters of water each day for about five years now. The two things that I have found work best for me in reaching this goal have been a simple two liter Coke, (yeah, I am from the Deep South), bottle and an infuser bottle that I take with me everywhere…and have left how many in my grocery cart at Walmart and had to replace…
Like I said earlier, my two favorite tools for helping me drink more water each day have been a 2-liter Coke bottle that I fill each day in order to finish by the time that I go to bed that night, and an infuser water bottle that I take with me everywhere I go.
But there are several other tools and techniques that can help you start drinking the water that your body needs each day, so keep reading…
THE WHO…(no, not the band…your co-workers, family, and friends)…Just as with any other goal, having other people—such as your spouse or a friend or a co-worker—can help you in your quest for drinking more water. To me this seems rather extreme, but this could actually be fun is you challenge a co-worker to see who can drink more water
- The Little Water Bottle…Carrying a small refillable water bottle everywhere you go, whenever you go will help you get into the daily habit of drinking more water throughout the day.
- The Big Water Bottle...In addition to carrying a small bottle of water with you, I have found it helpful to go ahead and pour a pitcher with how much water you have decided to drink each day. This serves as both a reminder and an easy way to make sure that you drink your full amount of water. I simply use an empty 2-liter Coke bottle.
- The Water Filter…Invest in a filter….You can get water filters both to filter both your tapwater as well as the pitcher or bottle that you use. We will be taking a look at a few options in a later post…For now, just realize that they might actually be worth checking into.
- The Straw….Using a straw actually does make a difference because you end up drinking faster, and drinking more at one time.
- The “Seltzer” Machine…Making your own carbonated water with the help of a home “seltzer” machine, such as the Soda Stream, might encourage you to drink more water also.
- Before Meals…Drinking a full glass of water before every meal makes you feel full and helps you eat fewer calories.
- Morning...Drink a tall glass of lukewarm water as soon as you wake up. Drinking this water will give you more energy to face the day ahead.
- Once Per Hour…Have one glass every hour on the hour will ensure that your water quote is met by the end of the day.
- Specific Times Throughout the Day…It is easier to start a habit if you link this new habit with an already existing daily activity. Drink a big glass at certain parts of your daily routine—such as when you first get up, just before leaving the house, when you sit down to work, whenever you get up from your desk at work to take a bathroom break, after your brush your teeth in the morning, and right before you eat lunch.
- Whenever You’re Drinking Alcohol….Drink one glass of water for every alcoholic beverage that you drink in order to avoid having a hangover the next day.
- Whenever You’re Exercise…Drink water before, during and after exercise.
- Whenever You’re Hungry…Drink water if you’re feeling hungry. Thirst is often confused with hunger.