Avocados are definitely a food item worth adding to or keeping on your family’s Big Shopping List.
In fact, we need to start stocking our pantries and refrigerators with “nutrient-dense” foods, such as the avocado, that super-enhance the nutritional quality of our diets—by supplying us with vitamins, minerals, and so forth—while at the same time adding relatively few calories.
The many health benefits for eating avocados include…
- boosting cognitive abilities
- building stronger bones
- enhancing the absorption of nutrients for the body
- helping to keep your heart healthy
- helping to maintain blood sugar levels
- helping to manage your insulin, triglycerides and cholesterol levels
- increasing blood circulation throughout the body
- keeping our eyes healthy
- protecting us from heart diseases and diabetes
- reducing the risk of cancer, liver damage, and vitamin K deficiency-related bleeding
- treating the symptoms and associated pain of arthritis
But HOW do you go about adding more avocado, one of THE world’s best superfoods, to your family’s menu plan, apart from eating guacamole and fried tortilla chips?!
Here are a few ideas…
1. Appetizer Recipes…Avocado a great element as an appetizer since it prepares the digestive tract to function at its highest level during the meal to come. For several good recipes, check out the Avocados from Mexico website.
3. Butter Substitute…Replacing butter or oil for avocado can be a great way to reduce your intake of unhealthy calories while baking. Simply add the same amount of avocado as you would have added of the butter or oil. For example, 3.5oz avocados contain 14.66g fat, whereas the same amount of butter would contain 81g fat.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2C chocolate chips
- 1/4C milk of choice
- 1tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8tsp salt
- 3Tbsp sweetener of choice
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. Combine melted chocolate chips with the rest of the ingredients in a blender. Blend together until completely smooth.