(posting this here because I just updated my “about me” page today and wanted to see if I could get any feedback, positive or negative, about what I have written, as I start reworking my site…
…yes, I do know that’s not me, just the me that I aspire to be perhaps…
…no, not off on another tangent just yet…sleep is just too dang important not to keep talking about, right(?!))…
One of our primary goals as writers, bloggers, and simply people in general should be to establish friendships and relationships…
A good place to start building these relationships as a blog writer/reader is on the the “About Me” page of any blog…
The “About Me” page is one of the most important pages on any blog. Not only is it one of the most popular pages, but it’s also the page that will make your audience fall in love with you and want to keep coming back for more.
The “About Me” page should basically answer two very important questions…
1. Who am I?
2. Why would anyone want to read anything that I might write?
In addition to answering these two very important questions, your “About Me” page should tell…should keep…and finally should give.
So what should your “About Me” page tell?!
Tell your perspective…Although this is called the “about me” page, it’s not actually about you yourself at all, but really all about your audience. Make sure that you’re attracting the exact audience you’re looking for within the first sentence of your “About Me” page by asking yourself…
- What am I providing for them?
- What makes your website different from all of the other ones out there?
- What should my readers expect to find when they come to your site?
- What will they get out of visiting my site?
- Who is my target market?
- Why should they bookmark your site and keep coming back?
Tell your story…Your story is the one unique thing that separates you from the crowd. Telling your story helps potential followers, clients, employers, and readers relate to you.
People want to know the formal you, not the polished you…the real you probably sitting on your couch in your pajamas with your hair on the top of your head in a ponytail and no makeup on drinking coffee…lots and lots of coffee…
When writing your “About Me” page, answer questions such as…
- How can knowing you, following you, or working with you change your life?
- What do you like? Now what do you absolutely love?
- What do you want to be recognized for?
- How did you get started? What inspired you to create your blog?
So how should my “About Me” page be kept?
- Keep it concise.—Your audience doesn’t need to know every detail of your life.
- Keep it real.—Make sure your About Me bio expresses who you are as a person and a professional in an authentic way, both in terms of content and in terms of your writing style.
- Keep it relevant.—Make sure that your About Me bio is relevant to your blog.
So what should your “About Me” page give?
- Give your audience a photo or two.—Include at least one high quality picture of both yourself and your workspace. Use this as another chance to truly express your personality and confirm the fact that you’re a real human being that people can know and love.
- Give your reader an idea of what city or region you live in—. This gives your readers and followers something to relate to, as well as a peek into your world.
- Give your audience the opportunity to stay connected with you. Include links to your Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram account along with an opt-in form for your email list.
- Give your audience some direction as to where to go next...such as a list of your most popular articles or a specific page you want them to look at.
All that being said, here is my personal “About Me” page for this Muffins and Magnolias blog…
Christy Floyd, the blogger behind Muffins and Magnolias, has been happily married to her wonderful husband Kurt for the last thirty-one years, and is the mother of three awesome grown daughters and a very active “resident four year old.” She and her husband have lived in Arlington, Texas for the last thirty years, but are originally from Houston, Mississippi.
About Muffins and Magnolias…
I write this blog predominantly for me because as I get older, the more easily I forget what I’ve learned or read and wanted to have a single place to look up the things that I should know and used to know, but no longer know.
Feel free to join me on my journey if you dare.
This journey is towards a more minimalistic, cruelty-free lifestyle than the one that I first began creating when my husband and I got married thirty-one years ago.
Back in 1986, when I first got married, homes and lifestyles were completely different and much more cluttered. I realized this fact about a month ago when I wandered into my first craft show in about twenty years.
Back in 1985, the big-hair and lots-of-hairspray newlyweds like myself desired clutter, ornamentation, and…looking back, perhaps, gaudiness. In 2018, as I help my daughter prepare for her upcoming wedding and new life, it seems like everyone is looking for minimalism and simplicity…
What a change from the days of Silver Dollar City country to farmhouse country during the last thirty years, right?!
Here on my website, I invite you to join me…
…as I break habits that I’ve formed over the last thirty years and swap them with new habits that are better both for my family and the environment….
…as I change our family’s eating habits from what-used-to-be the fast food generation that my kids and myself were all brought up in to a vegan or raw foods…or perhaps just healthier…diet…
…as I take each of the steps throughout my day and attack that particular part of my day to discover how I could be streamlining and doing this better and smarter…such as my mini units on “taking a shower” and “going to bed.”
Join this journey with me. Let’s fight this “yes, I’m having yet another zero birthday this year” drama with courage and skill. Learn with me. Come grow old with me, the best is yet to be.
Join me as I learn about eating a healthier diet, dressing more appropriately for this stage in my life, and celebrating life and making life better one Happy Planner section, one habit, and one day at a time.
Join me as I share stories of true-life Steel Magnolias, those women that I have known, both personally and not, who have truly inspired me.
Join me as I share stories about my own life when I have had to be a “Steel Magnolia,” such as my husband being deployed five times to Afghanistan and Iraq, living with a spouse who has PTSD, and adopting/raising a four-year old in my fifties…
Come grow old with me…Join me as I journey…
Now for overkill, I found this list of questions as a post on the GoodReads website in the Young Adult section with the following introductory paragraph…
posted a list of questions that you can answer if you are bored or something or just for fun. You don’t have to answer any or all of them. Its kind of a waste of time!
I took the time to answer all 110 questions…
Yes, I must have been bored or something…Yes, surprisingly I actually found time to waste…Yes, perhaps I could be called narcissistic and vain…
But more importantly, for you as a fellow blog reader and/or writer, to see how even stupid quizzes like this can be used to brainstorm blog topics and fill in an editorial calendar…
- 1. What is your favorite Primary song? Jesus Loves Me
- 2. What is your favorite nursery rhyme? Hickory, Dickory Dock
- 3. What is your favorite subject in school? Statistics
- 4. What is your favorite flavor of jelly beans? Licorice
- 5. Which flavor of ice-cream do you prefer? Coffee
- 6. What do you think is your very best feature or characteristic? Perseverance
- 7. What is your strongest talent? Knowing when to keep my mouth shut
- 8. Do you play a musical instrument, if so which one(s)?vyes…piano…
- 9. What do you usually do when you have leisure time on your hands? Sleep
- 10. What is your favorite season and why? fall…SEC football…
- 11. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? London
- 12. What is your favorite color? Red
- 13. Who is your best friend and how did you meet? Jesus…nursery at church
- 14. What is your favorite home cooked meal? Chicken and dumplings
- 15. What is your favorite grab and go meal? Chipotle
- 16. Do you prefer to wear pants or dresses? Pants…duh…
- 17. How many siblings do you have? Two
- 18. What is you favorite snack? The first thing that I can find
- 19. When do you usually do your homework? Really?!
- 20. What is your favorite electronic device? My back-up mirror on my car
- 21. If you could be any animal which one would you prefer to be and why? Possum…they can actually get by with rolling over and “playing possum”…and even toddlers fall for it…
- 22. What kind of vehicle do you usually ride in? Ford Edge
- 23. Do you have pets? Two cats and one dog
- 24. When was the last time you visited a park and what did you do while there? Two weeks ago…ate ice cream with my grandson
- 25. What is your favorite sport to watch? SEC football
- 26. Which sport do you most enjoy actively participating in? Too funny…
- 27. What do you usually do when you meet someone for the first time? Hope that they won’t shake my hand, or even worse hug me…
- 28. When was the last time you stayed or hosted a sleepover with friends? Does going to my mom’s last month count…
- 29. If you have to dress and leave in a hurry what is the one thing you can easily cut out of your routine? Bra
- 30. Do you plan to go to college? Been there, done that, got a t-shirt
- 31. What job do you think you would most enjoy as an adult? The one I have now…
- 32. Do you hope to have children of your own? If so how many. Another funny question…probably three girls…
- 33. What was the last item you cooked and ate? Watermelon
- 34. How many books did you read last year? One..,the Bible…
- 35. Where did you spend your last family vacation? my mom’s
- 36. Do you have relatives in other states? If so, which ones? Yes…Mississippi and North Carolina
- 37. Have you ever made jell-o? It’s disgusting
- 38. Are you ticklish? Yes
- 39. What size shoe do you wear? 6
- 40. How many pairs of shoes do you currently own? Too many to count…that I actually wear—two…
- 41. Which one fashion accessory do you like better than others? Wedding ring
- 42. Do you have chores at home you are responsible for? Another funny question…
- 43. If you were called on to serve a mission where would you least like to serve? Somewhere where people hugging and touching and kissing each other on the cheek is not a part of tradition or custom…
- 44. If you were called on to serve a mission where would you most like to serve? Somewhere not too hot but not too cold…
- 45. What age do you consider old? Maybe 80
- 46. Which birthday are you most looking forward to and why? At this age?!
- 47. Do you prefer pens or pencils? Pens
- 48. Do you like your handwriting? Yes
- 49. Were you named after anyone? Named after the book Christy
- 50. When did you last visit the zoo? October
- 51. Have you ever stayed on a farm? Yes
- 52. Have you ever been horseback riding? Yes
- 53. Have you ever been water skiing? No
- 54. What do you most like to do in the snow? Get out of it
- 55. What is your favorite all-time movie? the Blind Side
- 56. Can you change a tire? No
- 57. Is your room more clean or more messy? Perfectly clean
- 58. Do you prefer a bath or a shower? Shower
- 59. What do you prefer to drink with your morning meal? Vodka
- 60. If you had to be stranded on a deserted island with one person who would you want that one person to be? Brad Paisley
- 61. Which animal would you most like for your pet? Reptar
- 62. Do you like sweet treats or salty treats? Both
- 63. Have you ever sung in the shower? No…I hate to sing…
- 64. Do you find it easy to save money? Not with three daughters in college
- 65. Do you get an allowance? Whatever Kurt wins from his fishing tournaments
- 66. Do you have more friends that are boys or girls? Most are men and women of legal drinking age…except for Emily
- 67. Which do you prefer you had – straight or curly hair? Washed and combed
- 68. What color eyes do you most like? Green
- 69. Do you prefer colored or white socks? With what else?!
- 70. What would you say is your normal exercise routine? Rolling out of bed…
- 71. Have you ever had acrylic nails? Yes…they would get caught between the keys of my piano and fly across the room…
- 72. Have you ever colored your hair? Would I ever admit it…
- 73. What do you do when something funny happens? Pee my pants
- 74. mountains in a very, very long time…
- How do you earn money? Play piano for dead people
- 75. Do you like to dance? Nope…
- 76. Are you on any teams or in any clubs in your school? If so which ones? I would love to go back to school…maybe I could be on the badminton team…
- 77. Where do you keep your spending money? starbucks
- 78. Do you save trinkets and mementos? Not on purpose
- 79. Did you have a favorite toy as a child? Yes…wanna know what it was…
- 80. Do you share a bedroom? Yeah…most married people do that…
- 81. Do you like drinking from the cup or a straw? Depends on where that cup came from…
- 82. Do you like ice in your cold beverages? Yes…unless it’s a beer…
- 83. What is your favorite sandwich? Reuben
- 84. Do you carry floss in your purse? I don’t even carry a purse…
- 85. Where is the fartherest you have ever traveled? By car or boat or plane…probably Frankfurt, Germany to Atlanta
- 86. Do you have family members who live in another country? If so, which family members and where do they live. No..in the country, yes…in another country, no…
- 87. Which family member do you most resemble? Probably my Dad
- 88. Which family member are you more like? Probably my Dad
- 89. What is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to you? Life in general
- 90. Do you live in a house, trailer or apartment, etc.? House
- 91. Have you ever won anything? If so, what did you win? Yes…won $100 playing Bingo at my dad’s Christmas party when I was three…
- 92. Do you prefer fresh air or air conditioned air? What’s the difference?
- 93. Do you prefer mountainous or flat regions? Haven’t seen
- 94. What is your favorite reading material? Facebook
- 95. Name all of the pets you have ever had? Tramp, Chloe, Sheldon, max
- 96. Do you mow the lawn at your residence? You have got to be kidding!!!
- 97. Have you ever been in a musical drama or play? If so, what was it? No…I’m usually behind the piano…
- 98. Have you ever visited a planetarium? if so, where? No…
- 99. What is your favorite childhood memory? Just being a “lucky bum” in general
- 100. Do you usually buy or carry your lunch when at school? Don’t go to school…I dropped out..,
- 101. What is your favorite fruit? Strawberry Ice Cream
- 102. What color of clothing do you most like to wear? Black
- 103. What is your favorite cereal? Frosted Shredded Mini-Wheats
- 104. What is your favorite breakfast? Cinnamon rolls
- 105. Who do you spend more time with? My “significant other”
- 106. What is the longest car trip you have ever taken? Columbia, South Carolina to dfw
- 107. Do you know how to iron your clothes? No
- 108. Can you sew a button on your clothing? No…well, yeah…but usually just shove that article of clothing into the closet and find something else
- 109. Have you ever cut your own hair? No
- 110. Are you creative in any way? If so, which way(s)? No