As I make the transition this year to a healthier vegan and minimalistic lifestyle, one of my goals has been to vegan-friendly, cruelty free beauty products that neither contain-animal derived ingredients nor are tested on animals.
Many of the most popular in-store brands are owned by big consumer companies actually do that test their products on animals or use animal based by-products to reduce costs. Also many of the chemicals and ingredients contained in these shampoos can cause rashes, marks, and itchy skin.
Vegan shampoo is only made from completely organic plant-based ingredients and contains no harmful chemicals or toxins…and quality vegan shampoos will still give you that same amazing clean and fresh feeling as quality regular shampoos.
Factors to consider when shopping for vegan shampoos include price, reviews and overall effectiveness. Here are a few of the best cruelty-free shampoos that I have found currently on the market…
But before getting to the list, let’s talk about two frequently asked questions as far as shampooing your hair goes…
1. How often should you wash your hair?
- Washing your hair no more than twice a week should be frequently enough to help maintain natural oil production, yet achieve moisture balance. Washing your hair too often can make your hair dry out. Washing your hair too seldom can cause a buildup of oils, flaking, and redness.
2. What is the “proper” way to wash your hair?
- Always brush your hair both before and after taking your shower, preferably with a plastic vent brush. This will not only allow you to work through any tangles, but will also help prevent clogged drains.
- When ready to start washing your hair, put a quarter-size dollop of shampoo in your hands.
- Distribute the shampoo evenly throughout the hair, focusing on the nape of the neck, scalp, and roots because this is where dirt and oils usually collect.
- Scrub for a complete minute before rinsing.
Now for the list that I promised…
1. Beauty Without Cruelty Daily Benefits
- Ingredients…purified water, aloe vera leaf juice, lemongrass oil, sweet orange oil, lavandin oil, birch leaf extract, birch sap extract, clover blossom extract, yarrow. extract, rosemary extract, sage extract…no animal ingredients, paraben or synthetic fragrances
- Product Review…Makeup Alley
2. Christina Moss Naturals Organic Shampoo
- Ingredients… certified organic ingredients, including extracts and essential oils…NO harmful chemicals what-so-ever. No SLS, SLES, parabens, PG or PG derivatives, sulfates, dyes, synthetic fragrance or anesthetizing agents….
- Product Review… Dry Scalp Gone
3. Giovanni Smooth as Silk Vegan Shampoo
- Ingredients… grapefruit, apple and aloe extract…no parabens, lauryl or laureth sulfate…100% vegan…no animal testing or animal by-product
- Price… $9
- Product Review…Un-Ruly
4. Mukti Organics Botanique Shampoo
- Ingredients…gluten, nut, wheat & silicone free…made entirely out of organic and non-animal-based ingredients…100% vegan …contains no beeswax or honey… 100% vegan brand who never test their products on animals, export to countries that engage in animal testing, or buy raw materials from companies that do
- Price… $40
- Product Review…Truth in Aging
5. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
- Ingredients…tea tree oil, peppermint and lavender
- Product Review…Makeup Alley
6. Puracy Citrus & Mint Natural Shampoo
- Ingredients…non-toxic, vegan friendly, gluten-free, biodegradable…squalene to provide endless moisture, eliminate frizz, and create frictionless hair…no sulfates, parabens, perfumes, animal by-products or other harsh chemicals…100% vegan, gluten-free, and biodegradable
- Product Review…Perhaps Kale
7. Sweet Baby Natural Shampoo
- Ingredients…natural plant based ingredients…free from numerous harmful chemicals including sulfates, parabens, phthalates, phosphates, and dyes…specially formulated to be used on younger children and babies
- Review…My Milky Baby
8. The Wonder Seed Virgin Hemp Seed Oil Shampoo
- Ingredients…100% toxin and cruelty free…organic plant based ingredients… no toxins or chemicals…virgin organic hemp seed oil and a mix of essential sweet orange or green tree oil…
- Product Review…Organic Bunny