The right lipstick can take your makeup look from simple to splendid.
Supposedly women with olive skin tone like mine can wear a wide range of lipstick colors-from subtle nude to electric orange-because our skin tones are generally neutral.
Yet choosing lip colors is a very personal thing that should take into consideration your skin tone, lip color, eye color, hair color, and personality…and it’s so easy to get stuck in a rut and to pull out the same neutral color over and over again…instead of thinking as lip color as another way to accessorise your outfit.
Avoid falling into this rut by creating a lipstick wardrobe. Creating a lipstick wardrobe with several lip colour options, both basic and not-so-basic, is well worth both the time and money.
Having a mixture of lipsticks, glosses and hybrid lip stains can help you create different looks for both everyday life and special occasions.
Now for a few staples for your makeup table…
Most lip products fall into general categories, including…
- Classic Red…Red lips have quite a reputation as the perfect go-to accent for the LBD. Look for a true blue-toned red with some serious pigment power and a slight satin sheen.
- Colorful…A brave color-a fuchsia pink, a bold orange, or a Joan Holloway-esque coral-is always fun. Look for a richly pigmented creamy formula which applies opaque in just one coat and is bright, bold, and brilliant
- Coral…Look for a coral shade that is basically an orange lipstick, yet very close to a neutral, that is super hydrating, has a fabulous colour pigment, and gives good staying power.
- Lip Pencils…Lip pencils can serve as both lipliner and lipstick, and are great for frequent commuters or women who regularly reapply lipstick throughout the day. Lip pencils will also add ease and speed to your on-the-go makeup routine. Look for a shade that is neither too dark nor too bright and that is rather sheer and glossy.
- Neutral…This is the everyday lip warrior that you always keep close at hand and always make sure to keep in stock. A neutral or nude lip should not be too matte or too beige. Look for a light peachy-pink with a creamy consistency and plenty of gold shimmer that you can apply even without a mirror.
- Pinks…Pink lips supposedly make you look younger. and can be worn both day or night without distracting from a defined and smokey eye. Look for pinks with a hint of mauve.
- Tinted Lip Balm ..Tinted lip balm is great even for women who avoid lipstick, because of its ease of use and subtle appearance. Look for lip balms that are are long-lasting and can be reapplied with ease.
- Founded by…Makeup artist Kate O’Brien created this 100 percent pure mineral pigment makeup line because she was reluctant to let her teenage daughter start wearing makeup because of her concerns with many of the ingredients….
- Ingredients…Our products are free of parabens, sulfates, synthetic dyes, phthalates, dimethicone, petroleum, talc, bismuth oxychloride, and nanoparticles . They’re absolutely never tested on animals….
- Price Range…$14
- Founded…Ericka’s holistic and vegan lifestyle emerged in her early twenties, when she became dedicated to creating raw vegan smoothies and natural beauty recipes. Once she realized that natural compounds were rarely used in her favorite beauty product—lipstick—she decided to get in her kitchen and give it a go. The result became a labor of love and passion-project, Axiology.
- Ingredients…vegan ingredients such as avocado, castor seeds, orange, elderberry, coconut, candelilla wax, grapes! and vitamin e oil
- Price Range…$28
- Founded…by a wife and mom after she learned that when it comes to the personal care industry, companies are allowed to use harmful ingredients and make their own judgments about safety.
- Price Range...$30
4. Biba Lips
- Ingredients…rosemary, rose hip oil, jojoba, grape seed oil, Kokomo butter, green tea extract
- Price Range...$38
5. Dr Hauschka
- Founded…Dr. Rudolf Hauschka, a German doctor established this company in 1935.
- Ingredients…anthyllis, calendula, apricot, sweet almond, carrot, borage, St. John’s wort, shea nuts, red clover, birch, quince
- Price Range...$17
- Founded…”by Julia Wills and Alexander Kummerow in 2011 in their Seattle kitchen”
- Ingredients…natural ingredients, plant-based food-grade cold-pressed oils, steam-pressed therapeautic-grade essential oils, GMO free soy wax
- Price Range…$24
- Founded…co-founded by Meryl Marshall after recovering from breast cancer
- Ingredients…free of everything unwanted and anything else questioned or known to be harmful to the skin or our environment…free of parabens, nano particles, artificial preservatives
- Price Range… $29
9. Ilia Beauty
- Founded…launched its first collection of six tinted lip conditioners in Vancouver, Canada in 2011
- Ingredients…natural and organic, cruelty-free, certified bioactive organic ingredients sourced from organic farmers around the world and manufactured in an organic certified lab that hold certification with Gluten-Free, USDA Organic, and Leaping Bunny
- Price Range…$26
- Price Range…$24
- Ingredients… • vitamins, A, B, C, D, E and K…antioxidants, including pomegranate, raspberry and kiwi cold pressed oils…colors made from flowers, fruits, herbs and minerals…free from parabens, petro-chemicals, lanolin, hydrogenated oils,fd&c and lake dyes, nano-particles, gmo, pesticides and fungicides…not tested on animals…gluten free
- Price Range…$42
- Coconut Oil – Absorbs easily and keeps lips soft and supple. Helps to slow down the signs of aging.
- Shea Butter – Rich in essential fatty acids that are super antioxidants. Provides moisturization and hydrates lips.
- Jojoba Esters – Provides a buttery smooth application.
- Vitamin E – Helps minimize fine lines and fights free radicals.
- Price Range…$10
- Ingredients…jojoba seed oil, shea butter, peppermint oil
- Price Range…$13
- Ingredients…jojoba/sunflower seed wax, candelila wax, jojoba oil, sunflower seed oil, red raspberry seed oil, carrot seed oil
- Price Range…$14