Baked Crispy Fish Sandwiches
- Tartar Sauce…1/2C mayonnaise, 3Tbsp pickled relish, 1Tbsp chopped fresh dill, 1Tbsp Dijon mustard, Dash hot sauce
- 1Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1-1/4C panko breadcrumbs
- 1 pound white fish (halibut, tilapia, cod, etc.)
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp pepper
- 1/2C mayonnaise
- 1C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Hamburger or potato buns, split
- 4 slices of American or cheddar cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into rounds (optional)
- Shredded lettuce
1. Prep…Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Heat just the baking sheet for 30 minutes.Remove pan from oven. Drizzle with oil.
2. Make the tartar sauce...Stir together 1/2C mayonnaise, relish, dill, mustard, and hot sauce together in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate.
3. Toast the panko…Heat the oil or butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering or melted. Add the panko and 1/4tsp salt. Toast, stirring frequently, until evenly light golden-brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer toasted panel to a pie dish or large shallow plate. Let cool completely.
4. Bread the fish…Cut the fish fillets as needed into pieces that will fit in the buns. Mix the toasted panko, flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a pie plate. Whisk the egg and milk together in a shallow dish. Dip the tilapia in the egg mixture, allowing any extra to drip off. Dredge in the toasted panko mixture to completely coat, shaking off any extra. Use your hands to press the crumbs into the fish as needed. Place on the heated baking sheet. Drizzle fish with a little vegetable oil.
5. Bake the fish…Bake until the fish is golden-brown and flaky, 12 to 14 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
6. Make the sandwiches…Lightly toast the rolls cut-side up directly on the oven rack, about 3 minutes. Top each piece of fish with a slice of cheese. Return them to the oven until the cheese melts. Spread the tartar sauce on the cut sides of both the tops and bottoms of the rolls. Place some lettuce on the bottom half of each roll. Top with the fish, and top half of the roll.