And then there are those times when you need a more substantial lunch to hold you over till dinner…and people, especially men, who would laugh at the thought of having cucumber sandwiches and mini quiche as a meal.
These times call for, and people expect, more hearty, flavorful foods, such as a sandwich made with good bread and stuffed with Dagwood-sized piles of deli meats and cheeses.
For example, the Italian Beef Sandwich…a sandwich loaded with shaved roast beef, soaked in a flavorful au jus, and topped with a spicy giardiniera.
- 2Tbsp cooking oil
- 2# beef chuck roast
- 2 packets Good Seasonings Italian Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet onions, sliced
- 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock
- ¼ cup sliced pepperoncinis plus ¼ cup of the juice
- 2 bay leaves
- Giardinara (optional condiment)
1. Prep…Heat the oil the pressure cooker post over medium high heat.
2. Prep the meat…Trim 2#roast. Cut in fourths. Season with salt and pepper.Brown meat of both sides. Add to the pot.
3. Make the au jus…Add onion, 2 bell peppers, garlic to pan used for browning the meat. Sauté five minutes. Add to pot…along with red pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, beef stock, pepperoncini, and dressing mix.
4. Cook the meat…Raise heat to high. Bring to high pressure. Adjust the heat to maintain high pressure. Set time for 40 minutes. When time is up, let the heat come down on its own for ten minutes. Then do a quick release.
5. Shred the meat…Remove the meat to a plate or cutting board.Let it rest for ten minutes. Use two forks to shred the meat.Add the meat back into the juice. (Chilling the meat overnight in the refrigerator makes the meat easier to thinly slice.)
6. Serve the sandwiches…Spread deli French or sourdough roll with butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Toast, face side up, until slightly golden. Serve with provolone cheese and giardinara.