Chicken and Dumplings is perhaps one of the most familiar Southern comfort foods. Chicken and Dumplings is a staple main dish recipe in many Southern kitchens because the dish is delicious, satisfying, economical, and easy.
Yet many people find the dumplings to be dough-y, thick, strangely flavourless un-cooked balls of dough.
Instead of the traditional dumplings, here is a recipe for Chicken and Dumplings using the cream puff dough that we have been discussing lately, known as pâte à choux, mixed with plenty of fresh herbs.
- Combine 1C milk or water, 4oz butter, 1tsp salt in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Add 1C flour.
- Reduce the heat to medium, stirring rapidly to make a thick paste.
- Cook the dough 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the dough to a stand mixer.
- Add 3 eggs, 1Tbsp Dijon mustard, 2Tbsp parsley, ½C Swiss or parmesan cheese, 1Tbsp minced tarragon, 1Tbsp minced chives.
- Wait 30min.
- Cook one diced onion, 2 large diced carrots, 2 diced celery ribs, in 3Tbsp butter over medium heat until translucent.
- Add one quart chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low.
- Add 1tsp salt, 1 bay leaf, 1Tbsp tomato paste, pepper, lemon juice, 1/2tsp honey, 1 bay leaf, 1 sprig of thyme, 1 small garlic clove, 1/2tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2Tbsp parsley.
- Reduce the heat. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.Add one quart chicken stock.Simmer for 30 minutes., then strain the soup base into another pot and discard the vegetables.
4. Cooking the Chicken...Roast boneless skinless chicken thighs in a very hot oven for 20min.
5. Cooking the Dumplings…
- Fill a medium sized pot with salted water. Bring to a simmer.
- Fill a quart-sized Ziploc bag with the dough.
- Cut off one corner of the bag to make a quarter-sized opening.
- Pipe 1″ of the mixture. Cut with kitchen shears directly over the broth.
- The dumplings will sink to the bottom of the pot and then float to the top.
- Once the dumplings rise to the surface, cook an additional 10 minutes to ensure that they are cooked.
- Note…The dumplings can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated, or frozen. In this case, scoop them from the poaching water with a slotted spoon and let cool on a paper towel-lined cookie sheet.
6. Making the Soup...Turn off the heat. Add the meat. Wait a couple of minutes before serving.