Instilling a love of reading in your kids at a young age doesn’t always have to mean cracking a book. If you can find a children’s magazine that is the right fit for your child, it can be the ticket that turns your child into an enthusiastic reader.
Surrounding your kids with a variety of reading material and exposing them to different types of writing—fiction and nonfiction, poems and recipes—can make reading so much more exciting.
Book experts and bloggers from around the world agree that magazines can inspire a love of art, crafts, nature, reading, writing, comics, puzzles, cooking, and hands-on experiments.
If you too remember the thrill of your very own magazine arriving in the mail with your name on it,here are a few options to spurn a whole new generation of readers.
- Cost…9 Issues: $33.95
- Contents…brightly illustrated action rhymes, Mother Goose and other traditional nursery rhymes, basic concepts, and simple stories that are perfect for parents and grandparents to read aloud…featuring a variety of art styles and media, including paint, watercolors, woodblock prints, tapestry, collages, and pastels.
- Geared towards…children ages 6 months to 3 years
- Published…9 times a year, every month except for combined May/June, July/August, and November/December issues
- Publisher…The Cricket Magazine Group
- Contents…colorful pages, stories, puzzles, silly jokes, engaging stories, crafts, recipes, and early-learning activities
- Geared towards...3- to 6-year-olds
- Published…10 issues per year
- Publisher…Owl Media, Canada
- Content…takes children on a journey of discovery about the world around them…science, art, nature, and environmental issues…one intriguing topic at at time
- Geared towards...3-6 years
- Published…9 issues per year
- Publisher…Cricket Media
- Content…faith-filled fun and biblical values for young children
- Geared towards...3-7 years
- Published…12 issues per year
- Publisher…Focus on the Family
- Content…magical storytelling and playful activities, featuring the best-loved Disney characters. From the delights of Mickey Mouse, Sofia the First, Doc McStuffins, and the swashbuckling adventures of Jake
- Geared toward…ages 2 – 7
- Published…six times per year
- Publisher…Disney Magazines
- Content…ideas for family cooking, vacations, creativity, traveling, parties, holidays, crafts, fun, and much more to get the whole family interacting
- Geared toward…parents with kids from the ages of 3 to 12
- Publisher…Meredith Corporation
- Content…join characters such as Curious George, PAW Patrol, Clifford, and Peppa Pig in activities designed to make learning fun, while helping to develop key skills in math, reading and creativity…each issue includes a 12 page workbook to encourage and develop early learning skills
- Geared toward…age 2 – 7yrs
- Published…six times per year
- Publisher…Redan Publishing
- Content…free online audio stories, matching games and other puzzles, easy recipes and crafts, action rhymes, stories from other lands and cultures to expand children’s empathy
- Geared toward…ages 2 to 6
- Publisher…Highlights for Children, Inc.