Some days I feel like I am writing about so many different topics that there seems to be no method at all to my madness…but my goal is to actually walk through each part of my day and share some things that I have learned that month. So looking back on January…the month of Greenery…
Starting the Day Off Right...I’ve decided to study Genesis this entire year studying Genesis based on the following four Bible study methods…I am a huge fan of Warren Wiersbe and his Be Series of commentaries on every book of the Bible, and I am currently working through Be Basic a study of the first eleven chapters of Genesis.
Getting Dressed…Steps to Creating an Intentional Wardrobe
- Take everything out of your closet. Now everything will either need to ‘earn’ its way back into your closet or head straight out the door and either taken to the curb or Goodwill.
- Throw away anything that is stained, has holes, and is actually falling into pieces, wouldn’t be caught dead in, and why in heck did I ever buy that in the first place..
- Pull out those things that you absolutely love or absolutely hate.
- Immediately put those things that you absolutely love back in the closet, checking for clothes that need to be ironed, have a seam that needs to be repaired, need to be taken to the dry cleaners, have a button sewn back on, and so forth.
- Immediately put those things that you absolutely hate in the bag for Mission Arlington bag.
- Now decide what clothes to keep and to give away…Don’t hold on to anything that scratches, itches, tugs or rides up take it out of the pile…does not honestly doesn’t fit you…doesn’t make you feel good…is starting to show its age, has not been worn for a good six months. Good enough’s and ‘ok’s should not make the cut. One perfect sweater is always better than five imperfect ones.
- Sell or donate anything that is in good condition.
- Now create a capsule wardrobe of about forty pieces.
- Figure out which pieces you should buy BEFORE you hit the shops. Spend as much time as necessary finding the “perfect.”
- Find an app to keep track of what clothes you already own and teach you “what not to wear” such as… ClosetSpace… Fab.com… Hautelook… The Hunt…Polyvore…Stylebook…Styliciou… Trend Tracker …WEAR
- Adopt a one-in-one-out policy…everytime you buy something new, get rid of something you already own.
Beginning with Breakfast…Biscotti
Biscotti di Prato
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1 cup shelled almonds, toasted
Preheat oven to 325°. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Put flour into mixing bowl. Add sugar, 2 eggs, one egg yolk, baking powder, salt, and water. Cream ingredients together until stiff dough forms. Add almonds. Divide dough into fourths. Roll each quarter into a 1 1⁄2″ x 10″ log. Arrange on prepared baking sheet 2″ apart. Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl. Brush onto dough. Bake until golden brown on top, about 45 minutes. Use a long metal spatula to transfer dough logs to a cutting board. Carefully cut logs crosswise with a serrated knife (logs will be a bit fragile) into 1⁄2″-thick cookies. Return cookies to a baking sheet. Arrange, cut side up, in a single layer. Bake cookies until pale brown, 20-25 minutes. Set cookies aside to cool completely before serving.
Thai Chicken Salad
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 2 Tb rice vinegar
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Dash of salt and pepper
Place in ziploc bag w/ 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Place it in the fridge for at least 4 hours to marinade. Cook the chicken in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Allow it to cool a bit, then chop up all the chicken into bite sized pieces. Combine the following salad ingredients in a large bowl…
- 1 small head green or white cabbage (2 cups shredded)
- 1 large carrot (1½ cups shredded)
- 1 green papaya (1½ cups shredded)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup green onions
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- 2 hearts of romaine, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
Add the chicken. Toss the chicken and vegetables in a large bowl and keep chilled…Dressing…Whisk together…
- ½ teaspoon minced hot pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tb Thai sweet red chili sauce
Toss the salad with the dressing. Top with 1C crushed salted peanuts. Serve chilled.
Thai Chicken Soup…Make the stock the night before…Sauté ½C thinly sliced onion…¼C sliced galanga…3 cloves garlic. Combine…
- 14oz coconut milk
- 12C chicken broth
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, cut in 1″ pieces
- 2 tsp Thai style fish sauce-
Bring to a boil. Add onion mixture. Let simmer 30 minutes. Refrigerate overnight.After straining the stock, add…
- 1½# cooked chicken, cut in bite-size pieces
- 6oz angel hair pasta
- 4 chopped scallions
- 1C sliced mushrooms
- 1Tbsp lime juice
- 1Tbsp fish sauce
- 1tsp sugar
- 1tsp Thai chili paste
Cook until noodles are cooked. Serve with cilantro, scallions, bean sprouts, lime wedge and sriracha.
Making Dinner Plans...Foodies Read 2017
- January…Baking and Roasting…
Afternoon Tea at Home: Deliciously indulgent recipes for sandwiches, savouries, scones, cakes and other fancies: by Will Torrent
Patisserie at Home: Step-by-step recipes to help you master the art of French pastry also by Will Torrent…
Satisfying the Sweet Tooth...(will provide links to cake recipes later)…
Coconut Peanut Butter Bites
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Nutella Energy Bites…Combine following ingredients. Scoop into 1″ balls. Store in refrigerator.
- 1C old fashioned, rolled oats
- ½C crispy rice cereal (or shredded coconut)
- ½C Nutella
- ¼C peanut butter
- ½C ground flaxseed
- ⅓C honey
- 1Tbsp coconut oil
- 1tsp vanilla
- ½C chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Cranberry Granola Bites
- Melt together 1/4C honey and 1/4C peanut butter in small saucepan.
- Add 1tsp vanilla.
- Mix honey mixture with 1 3/4C rolled oats…1/2C dried cranberries.
- Roll into 16 granola bites.
- Store in a sealed container.
Pumpkin Energy Bites…Combine following ingredients. Scoop into 1″ balls. Store in refrigerator.
- 1C old fashioned oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1/4C pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2C wheat germ
- 1/3C honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup white chocolate morsels
Raw Cookie Dough Bites (Grain, Sugar, Dairy, & Egg-Free)…Combine following ingredients. Scoop into 1″ balls. Store in refrigerator.
- 2C blanched almond flour
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1/4tsp sea salt
- 1/4C coconut oil (solid but soft)
- 1Tbsp honey
- 2Tbsp almond butter
- 2tsp vanilla
- mini dark chocolate chips
- stevia to taste, if additional sweetener is needed
Creating a Home…Food Subscription Boxes
- 1. Blue Apron
- 2. Batch
- 3. Carnivore Club
- 4. Cocoa Runners
- 5. Degustabox
- 6. Farm to People
- 7. Graze
- 8. HelloFresh
- 9. Healthy Surprise
- 10. Love with Food Tasting Box
- 11. Mantry
- 12. Nature Box
- 13. Orange Glad
- 14. Peach Dish
- 15. Plated
- 16. Treatsie
- 17. Try The World
- 18. Turntable Kitchen
- 19. Vegan Cuts
- 20. Vegin’ Out
Celebrating Life…books about mornings and productivity are on the top of my reading list. Here are a few books that I have added to my Kobo shelf lately…
- The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (before 8am) (Hal Elrod)
- The Perfect Morning Everyday: The Way to Health, Happiness and Well Being …(Michael J. Rothermel)
- Five Good Minutes: 100 Morning Practices to Help You Stay Calm and Focused All Day Long
- Wake Up Successful – How to Increase Your Energy and Achieve Any Goal with a Morning Routine (Steve Scott)
- The 5 A.M. Miracle: Dominate Your Day Before Breakfast (Jeff Sanders) …The 5 A.M. Miracle is a “easy-to-follow 30-day plan” that might make even night owls like myself friendly at 5 in the morning.
- Morning Routine: to Wake Up Successful – Learn to Start your Day with Motivation and Energy to Upgrade Your Life Forever! (Jacky Naismith)