The stockings are hung by the mantel with care,
The trees all have ribbons and ruffles…
And here I am in my kitchen tonight
Rolling Christmas truffles.
Truffles, such as these rum balls, are the perfect holiday classic for both entertaining and gift giving.
Even better, most truffles can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Base: Melt 7oz 54 – 65% cocoa chocolate with 1oz unsalted butter and 1/4C whipping cream in the microwave.
- Just be extra careful, because the chocolate could actually burn instead of melting. Take the chocolate out to stir every twenty seconds.
- Flavoring: Add any flavorings…such as 1tsp vanilla, 1oz rum or brandy or Baileys…
- Place the chocolate mixture in the fridge for thirty minutes. Transfer chocolate to a piping bag.
- Piping: Prepare a large plate or with or aluminum foil. Cut the tip of a piping bag. Pipe circles of the chocolate onto a parchment paper-lined tray.
- Refrigerate until the chocolates have hardened, at least thirty minutes.
- Decorate the truffles with or dip them into whatever…cocoa powder, dried coconut flakes, crushed nuts, candy sprinkles, the nearest swimming pool…
- Base: Heat ¼C heavy cream until it just comes to a boil. Add 5oz chopped Lindt chocolate. Remove pan from heat.Stir or whisk until the chocolate is completely melted. If making milk or dark truffles, stir in 1Tbsp butter until the ganache is smooth.
- Refrigerate: Put mixture in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap ensuring that the plastic makes contact with the entire surface of the ganache. Refrigerate overnight.
- Shape the mixture into balls. Place on parchment paper.
- Roll finished truffles in unsweetened cocoa powder.
Vegan Rum Balls
- Base: Combine…1C chopped walnuts, 2C crushed vegan chocolate wafer cookies, and 1-1/2C vegan powdered sugar.
- Flavor: Add 1/4C cocoa powder, 2Tbsp pure maple syrup, and 1/4C dark rum.
- Shape the mixture into 24 rum balls using your hands.
- Roll the balls in powdered sugar. Refrigerate.